On Fri, 2010-06-18 at 09:00 -0400, Zabb65 wrote:
> I'm looking to see if there is any interest in adding AR5513 support
> to the ath5k HAL. I have one of the devices myself and would love to
> add support to the HAL for this device(It's the only missing one, no?)

I have such device, D-Link DWL-G650M (rev A1, with a green label).  I
tried to add support for it to ath9k, but gave up soon after realizing
that the card needs a lot of code from ath5k.

> It appears that all of the tx queues and rx queues behave
> properly(fill and drain like normal), but nothing is getting to the
> mac/network layer. Which leads me to believe that the buffers may be
> wrapped in some protocol(The AR5005VL is designed for embedded devices
> such as DVR boxes and streaming media. It has a full MIPS32 R3000(I
> think?) cpu and likely its own firmware/operating system)

It's a MIMO card, so you might need to initialize some additional
parameters.  You can see txChainCtrl and rxChainCtrl in the driver.
There are also references to rxChainCtrl in net5513.inf.

> So in adding support, the following things will likely have to be
> done: change the data type of registers from u16 to u32(the device
> makes use of a few registers that require it.),

Do you mean ath5k_hw_reg_read() and ath5k_hw_reg_write()?  It may be a
good idea to do it regardless of AR5513 support.  Changing u16 to u32
decreases the module size (stripped) by 224 bytes on x86_64 and I think
it should speed up the code as well, as it avoids instructions to limit
the register value to 16 bits.

> fill in
> missing/incorrect eeprom reading functions, correct eeprom reading
> functions for eeprom version 0x4009(the cards A band data doesn't
> appear to be properly detected), add the eeprom shim to read eeprom
> for the specific card, work out why TX/RX isn't working properly,
> anything else involved with why TX/RX doesn't work.
>
> Obviously I'm going to have to do a lot of that myself, as I don't
> know of anyone else who has one of the cards, but in the event that I
> am legally unable to produce patches or code, I'm fully willing to
> document my findings to allow somebody else to write the required
> code, in the event there is interest in this.

I cannot promise any involvement other than testing the code.  I can
donate my card to whoever is seriously interested doing in the code
development.

Actually, DWL-G650M can be bought on eBay for $15 with shipping.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin