My wireless card is : Atheros ar5413

I want to configure my wireless network interface "wlan0" to adhoc mode
these are the steps i have done

ifconfig wlan0 down
iwconfig wlan0 mode ad-hoc
iwconfig wlan0 essid mynetwork
iwconfig wlan0 channel 4
ifconfig wlan0 up
ifconfig wlan0 192.168.1.3

the same thing for a second machine
with ip address 192.168.1.2

i have checked the routing table too and the new configuration of wireless
interfaces all it's fine
But when testing connection between the two machines using ping i got host
unreachable
i could not find why this is not working.

1) if card is not able to run in adhoc mode why the iwconfig does not report
error when i have used iwconfig command ?

2) if the card is able to run in adhoc why it does not work as all parameters
are good defined