On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 11:57 AM, Lukáš Turek <8...@praha12.net> wrote:
> On Saturday 27 November 2010 02:31:53 Nick Kossifidis wrote:
>> When we convert to core clock units it's what we should do, all
>> timings should change the same way. I don't know what this
>> aPHY-RX-START-Delay is but if it changes that way we can use absolute
>> values as we do for slot time and sifs.
>
> Although aPHY-RX-START-Delay is specified in the standard, it's not needed on
> Atheros hardware, probably the hardware starts the timeout countdown after it
> switches to RX mode (so aPHY-RX-START-Delay is added implicitly). See my
> discussion with Felix Fietkau a year ago, starting here:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/ath5k-devel@lists.ath5k.org/msg02810.html
>
> The calculation used in set_coverage_class is also the same as the one in
> Madwifi driver. When I wrote that code, I intentionally kept the old initvals
> when no coverage class was set to prevent regressions (the ACK timeout in
> initivals is larger than the one for coverage class 0, so a long distance link
> that worked before would break). Maybe I was too careful.

I'm going to be ashamed to admit that this is going way beyond my
understanding. You guys understand the hardware way more than I can.
Once registers don't exactly map to an 802.11 value, I'm honestly out
of my league. I hope I've helped find the correct values for
parameters that are lifted straight out of the standard, but I'm don't
want to make any comments when I don't know the full picture.

Cheers,

Jonathan