On 21 November 2011 12:08, Nick Kossifidis <mickfl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Some time ago we had a few reports of AR2413 cards being unable to
> encrypt packets of specific lengths.
>
> From https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/568090, user
> Musaraigne did some further investigation/debuging on this:
>
> "The cause of the high and unpredictable latencies is that packets are
> dropped depending on their size. According to my tests, packet sizes
> of the form
>  size = 128*k + 81 + m
> or
>  size = 128*k + 105 + m
> for any k>=2 and 0<=m<=7
>
> are dropped randomly in 90-95% of the cases. Conversely, all other
> packet sizes work fine.

That seems a bit odd. Erm, how do they fail?

* Does the hardware just plain fail at encrypting the frame?
* Does the hardware just plain fail to _TX_ the frame of that size?
(ie, if you disable crypto and take padding into account, does it
fail?)
* What about other encryption types? AES? TKIP? WEP? None? :-)
* This is a PCIe NIC, right? Are there some kind of weird bus bugs
that you're seeing with this particular NIC and this particular bus
glue?

Since Madwifi works, I wonder if FreeBSD also works. If so, there's
only a few places I'd bet you'll find weird stuff:

* how the bus is setup during attach (eg overriding PCI values);
* which crypto key slots are allocated;
* are you still doing split keys on that hardware? or are they
combined like the ar5416+ chips are?
* are you perhaps doing multi-descriptor TX frames and you've not set
the encryption bits correctly? IIRC, the enctype field needs to match
on all descriptors of a frame (eg, if your packet is a chain rather
than a single skb, you need to make sure you're copying the descriptor
fields right.)
* what about the frame and header length fields? and encryption
padding? are they all setup the same with madwifi versus ath5k?

I bet a bit of methodical poking is going to reveal this bug. I find
it rather annoying that ath5k/ath9k have lots of encryption issues but
I've not had any reports of encryption on FreeBSD failing (save where
the AP is totally lying about which keyidx a frame is encrypted with.)
It's possible that you're seeing these errors because more people are
using ath5k then FreeBSD, but still:

* does freebsd-9 (wifi) work on the same hardware?

Nick, can you find out if someone can send us one of these weird NICs?
I'll throw it into my pile-o-old-stuff-to-test and do some regression
testing with it.

Adrian