Hello,

I am working on a project where I need to be able to accurately timestamp
both transmitted and received packets from an Atheros NIC. I am aware that
in its normal mode of operation and that Ath5k only timestamps received
packets and beacons.

To get around this,  I have tried running two NICs (Atheros based Ubiquiti
SR2s, wlan0 and wlan1), where wlan0 transmits data frames and the second
NIC wlan1 is in monitor mode. My intent was that the second NIC in monitor
mode would receive the transmitted packets from wlan0 and time stamp them
as well as other incoming packets. Unfortunately, there appears to be some
level of filtering at the driver or possibly kernel level that prevents the
second NIC from seeing the packets that have been sent out by the first NIC.

Notes:
** I have read about some people flagging outgoing packets in Ath5k as
beacons, which are timestamped by hardware, but am not sure where to look
or implement this in the driver.
 ** I am not concerned about providing normal 802.11 operation with this
system, just being able to transmit packets and accurately timestamp the
associated transmit and receive times.

Any suggestions about how to successfully timestamp transmitted and
received packets using Ath5k would be much appreciated. Preferably, I'd
like to do this with one NIC, but if there is an easier way to do this with
two NICs that will work as well.

Thanks
-Alex