2013/11/7 Adrian Chadd <adr...@freebsd.org>:
> On 7 November 2013 06:20, Bob Copeland <m...@bobcopeland.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 06, 2013 at 09:17:46AM -0800, Adrian Chadd wrote:
>>> The TL;DR version - you need to keep the the final descriptor around
>>> for each hardware queue. The legacy madwifi/freebsd way of doing it
>>> was to keep the last descriptor that was handled. This wasn't enough.
>>> It needs to be per TX queue. You also must never program TxDP after
>>> you've programmed it once - you can only program it again after you've
>>> completely torn down TX DMA for the particular queue.
>>
>> This is a goldmine -- thank you for taking the time to write it up!
>> I believe we can clean up ath5k's transmit loop a lot now...
>
> You're very welcome. I spent quite a lot of time waist deep in this
> crap. It turns out I had to go to the hardware guys and wade through
> the verilog to figure out what the hell was actually going on.
>
>>> * read-and-clear bugs
>>> * PHY register read problems, and why ANI may occasionally look whacked
>>
>> One thing at a time for me... but do we even want to know? :)
>
> If you want to avoid crazy crashes and hangs, yes? :)
>
> Also, ask me about "key cache corruption" too.
>

> -adrian

Adrian/Bob, these fixes (along with power saving etc) are very
interesting projects and I was thinking to submit them in OPW
(http://kernelnewbies.org/OPWIntro). Are you interested in mentoring
(http://kernelnewbies.org/OPWMentor) ?

I'm planing to submit ar5513 support and ar5210 fixes there and mentor
(for the next period -June to September-).

--
GPG ID: 0xEE878588
As you read this post global entropy rises. Have Fun ;-)