On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 4:56 AM, jd jd <jdiq...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
>

> I am trying to measure the optimal performance of 802.11n in a typical
> indoor scenario, using the most capable products available that are
> compatible with open sourced Linux drivers, and then discover the best
> settings to achieve the highest successful rates.
>

> I currently have 2 boards both with an AR9160 Atheros chipset wireless card
> and openwrt trunk build (r23637) as well as ath9k driver installed and
> functional.
>

> My current setup is:
>
> [PC1]------------- [Avila- AP MODE] })})})})})})})})  [Avila -STA
> MODE]-------------[PC2]
>

> KEY:
>
> ---------- = Ethernet (currently 100Mbit)
>
> )})})})} = Wireless
>

> Iperf udp tests between PC1 and PC2 get at best 79 Mbits/s, on 5GHz HT20
> 11na (channel 40) and 77 Mbits/s stable on 2.4GHZ(channel 5) HT40+ 11ng.
> Note: both channels have other wireless traffic).
>

> I have a number of questions in terms of ath9k:

 I will try to answer upto my understanding(I am a newbie)
Any other better answers are most welcome

> 1)      Is there any way of setting link layer parameters such as frame size
> and aggregation(MSDU /MPDU).
I think we need to hack the code

> 2)      Why do I get a kernel driver error when I set HT40+ or HT40- on 5GHz
> 11na channels and why can I not set any HT capabilities such as GP and short
> guard on 5GHz. Is there any solution to this?
This should work fine we had used 11NAHT40PLUS etc ...

> 3)      How can I enable other channels of 5GHz which show as disabled in
> “iw list” such as channel 100.
Dont know , but as you know it seems to be radar detected why we
should enable it

> 4)      How can I limit the bitrate of the driver, as I tried with iwconfig
> and iw, but it had no effect on my speed tests? Also is there any way I can
> disable minstrel rate adaptation, as I wish to test other rate adaptation
> mechanisms.
You can enable ath9k rate contorl  in the .config
CONFIG_ATH9K_RATE_CONTROL=y
and to enable/disbale change the folowing default things
CONFIG_MAC80211_HAS_RC=y
CONFIG_MAC80211_RC_MINSTREL=y
CONFIG_MAC80211_RC_MINSTREL_HT=y
CONFIG_MAC80211_RC_DEFAULT_MINSTREL=y
CONFIG_MAC80211_RC_DEFAULT="minstrel_ht"

> 5)      How can I change the Modulation scheme (MCS), aka specify 0-15.
I think we cannot do it using iwconfig/iw

> 6)      What 802.11n MIMO capabilities actually function if I were to add
> them in hostapd settings (/etc/config/wireless).
This was asked by some one(Andreas) before and answered by Lardy
It seems enabling wmm helps
 Default WMM parameters (IEEE 802.11 draft; 11-03-0504-03-000e):
# for 802.11a or 802.11g networks
# These parameters are sent to WMM clients when they associate.
# The parameters will be used by WMM clients for frames transmitted to the
# access point.
#
# note - txop_limit is in units of 32microseconds
# note - acm is admission control mandatory flag. 0 = admission control not
# required, 1 = mandatory
# note - here cwMin and cmMax are in exponent form. the actual cw value used
# will be (2^n)-1 where n is the value given here
#
wmm_enabled=1
#
# WMM-PS Unscheduled Automatic Power Save Delivery [U-APSD]
# Enable this flag if U-APSD supported outside hostapd (eg., Firmware/driver)
#uapsd_advertisement_enabled=1
#
# Low priority / AC_BK = background
wmm_ac_bk_cwmin=4
wmm_ac_bk_cwmax=10
wmm_ac_bk_aifs=7
wmm_ac_bk_txop_limit=0
wmm_ac_bk_acm=0
# Note: for IEEE 802.11b mode: cWmin=5 cWmax=10
#
# Normal priority / AC_BE = best effort
wmm_ac_be_aifs=3
wmm_ac_be_cwmin=4
wmm_ac_be_cwmax=10
wmm_ac_be_txop_limit=0
wmm_ac_be_acm=0
# Note: for IEEE 802.11b mode: cWmin=5 cWmax=7
#
# High priority / AC_VI = video
wmm_ac_vi_aifs=2
wmm_ac_vi_cwmin=3
wmm_ac_vi_cwmax=4
wmm_ac_vi_txop_limit=94
wmm_ac_vi_acm=0
# Note: for IEEE 802.11b mode: cWmin=4 cWmax=5 txop_limit=188
#
# Highest priority / AC_VO = voice
wmm_ac_vo_aifs=2
wmm_ac_vo_cwmin=2
wmm_ac_vo_cwmax=3
wmm_ac_vo_txop_limit=47
wmm_ac_vo_acm=0
# Note: for IEEE 802.11b mode: cWmin=3 cWmax=4 burst=102

Can you please search the mailing list with
ath9k HT40 performance issues.

> 7)      What other settings can I change that may affect throughput and
> reduce packet loss.
On the higher level this basically depends on the rate control
algorithm, and probably some hw/mac configurations(ex :tx under runs)
current ath9k rate control is based on PER .