I went back to the original commit message:

http://git390.marist.edu/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=53bc7aa08b48e5cd745f986731cc7dc24eef2a9f

It looks like the commit did more than "add a new AR9285 chip."

It did add the AR9285SE initvals and version check macro, but it also:

* added new calibration code;
* changed the inivals a bit
* changed the AR9285_WA_DEFAULT register, which is involved in PCI powersave

I can't imagine it's the calibration code, but hey. :-)

If your AR9285 happens to be one of these AR9285SE versions, then it
could be due to that.
To check, find where in the proc/sys fs's regval/regidx now live, and

echo "0x7868" > regidx
cat regval

The last digit in the regval should either be 0x1 or 0x9 for an
AR9285SE. If that's the case, I can step you through disabling the
AR9285SE macro in the source so your device attaches as a normal
AR9285, but I have no idea if it works that way or not. :)

You could also try flipping the AR9285_WA_DEFAULT value and/or
register inivals back to the previous version?

I've tried a recent ath9k on my test laptop and it works fine, and I
have a very large stack of cards which include half a dozen different
AR9285s (but alas no AR9285SEs.)

So I bet it's something more subtle, like strange behaviour with sleep
state, powering down the PCIe bus right, etc, etc.

Good luck!

Adrian