Well, that patch did a few things besides add AR9285SE specific stuff:

* added the carrier leak calibration workaround for AR9285;
* changed initvals for the normal ar9285 v1.2 case (they look like
BB/PHY and analog related settings, but I have no idea what misc bits
are floating around there, lurking to bite an unsuspecting
traveller..)
* modified the AR9285_WA_DEFAULT value from 0x004a05cb to 0x004a050b,
clearing bits 6+7. These bits are set on poweron and cleared on
poweroff. I can't see any use of this register outside of
ar9002_hw_configpcipowersave(), so unless the code has changed
significantly since this commit, I don't think that modification would
have hurt.

In FreeBSD though, I just write the AR9285 serdes then set the
AR9285_WA_DEFAULT value to AR_WA. I don't do any tricky pcie powersave
yet primarily because I'm not sure if it's fully debugged. ;)

Ok, checking out a previous version of the wireless-testing tree (@
53bc7aa08b48e5cd745f986731cc7dc24eef2a9f) shows that
ath9k_hw_configpcipowersave() is  different in that version to later
versions.

So moral of the story tony - please checkout a tree before that commit
and test. :-) There's significant differences between ath9k back then
and now to make comparison non-trivial.

Adrian