> Doesn't look like anyone is in a hurry to fix it. Say I wanted to take a
stab at submitting a patch, any resources you'd
> recommend? My C/C++ experience is mainly limited to college, I program in
Java during the day. These books look interesting:

I don't really know those books, but "Linux Device Drivers", while not
updated for some time, is still a very valuable resource. Jonathan Corbet
is an excellent technical writer. However, to modify an existing driver,
you don't need that much C or Linux kernel knowledge. Just a little tip.
Maybe one like this:

When it comes to diversity, your first way of attack is to add debug output
for yourself. When I do that, I usually do printk("##HS this %d, that %ln",
blah, muh).   That ##HS  really stands out.

Now, to find places that are related to diversity, grep the source
of drivers/net/wireless/ath/ath9k for occurrences of:

ATH9K_HW_CAP_ANT_DIV
hw_caps

That should lead you to places that program the chip accordingly. I once
had a ath9k chip, where the internal EEPROM said two antennas were
connected and the chip tried to do diversity ... but the manufacturer only
connected one. Boom ...