The ath9k_htc driver causes my computer to completely lock up, forcing
me to restart. This occurs after anything between a few minutes to a few
hours - generally less than an hour - of having the device using the
driver connected to the computer and communicating with a network (I
haven't tested having the device connected to the computer but not
communicating with any network).

The network adapter in question is a TP-Link TL-WN822N V3 (lsusb
indicates it is TP-Link TL-WN821N v3). The only unusual thing that jumps
to mind about it is that it was initially listed as a Realtek driver
here <http://wikidevi.com/wiki/TP-LINK_TL-WN821N_v1> and TP-Link's tech
support informed me of the same. Now version 4 is listed as the Realtek
one and this is listed as an Atheros one. Not sure whether that's worth
pointing out but it was something that bugged me when I first got it.

The issue has existed since the 3.8 kernels at least partway through the
release candidates. I had the compat-wireless drivers installed for
unrelated reasons which was how I first noticed it. I sent a message
when the stable release of 3.8 came out shortly after and the issue
still existed but received no response. I've tested the device with the
new 3.9 kernel and the issue still occurs. I've also noted some signal
loss while it functions at all but it's much less severe with the later
3.8s and 3.9 so I'm not confident that bit is even still a problem. I
had no issues whatsoever with the driver in the 3.7 kernels and in fact
I'm using it with 3.7.9 right now. Though I will comment that the 3.9
drivers reconnect to networks when disconnected much more smoothly.

I'd be happy to provide any additional necessary information. I'm not
sure where to get logs of whatever it is that's happening as the only
ones I found that seemed relevant appeared to be erased on each boot.
Since the only way to recover from the issue was a hard reboot I haven't
got any logs of when it occurs. I might just be looking in the wrong
places though.