1.  multirate retry is still available for HT aggregates yes.
2.  You would just set the number of retries to 0.  Then if the aggregate
failed (either partially or completely) it would be up to SW to do
something.
3.  Software retry is not defined by the spec, but rather by implementation.
  Retries of MPDU's are done by SW in every case except for the case where
the BA never came back, as you said.

On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 7:40 AM, Ali Abedi <a2ab...@uwaterloo.ca> wrote:

> Hello,
>

> I have a few questions about the operation of Minstrel_ht. I couldn't
> find a good reference that
> explains minstrel_ht. I tried to understand it by reading the code. The
> fact that frame aggregation
> was added to the picture confuses me a bit. I understand the multirate
> retry chain in Minstrel (802.11g).
>
> 1- Since the hardware only reties the frame when no block ack is
> received (phy header damage)
> (is this correct?), do we still use the multirate retry chain with frame
> aggregation?
>
> 2- Is it possible to disable hardware retries?
>
> 3- Is software retry defined for an individual MPDU? Is this the number
> of times an MPDU
> is rescheduled for transmission?
>

> Thank you in advance.
>
> Best,