Hi Allen,

Spectral scan sum up I and Q for you and give you the magnitude it.
Since I and Q are "merged", no phase information is available.
As Adrian said, you have to run some math to get power in dBm from the
special spectral sample format.
If you are able to read Python code, here is an example for the transformation:
https://github.com/bcopeland/speccy/blob/master/spectrum_file.py#L57

If you prefer "real code", there is an implementation how to threat
the sample data in Adrians Radarlib:
https://github.com/erikarn/ath_radar_stuff/tree/master/lib/libradarpkt

The paper found on "Atheros CSI Tool" link states:
"The CSI measurements are complex values and hence contain two parts,
the amplitude and the phase."
So I guess that with CSI the I and Q values aren't merged. If you do
so, you should be able to calculate the power levels - then you should
end up with the same information like from spectral scan.
But I do not have any first hand experience with CSI, if you have any,
please share :)

If you want to play around with the spectral scan feature, I recommend
to to give Bob Copelands "Speccy" a try:
https://github.com/bcopeland/speccy

Hope this helps.

Robert