On 8/22/05, Justin Fletcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >> Ahh, I had thought this was a more dedicated ping traffic stream. The
> >> never ending Atom document makes much more sense now.
> >
> > It's got another advantage.  You connect and ask for the feed.  You get
> >
> > <feed xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom";>
> > ....... goes on forever ........
> >
> > and none of the entry documents need to redeclare the Atom namespace, which
> > saves quite a few bytes after the first hundred thousand or so entries. -Tim
>
> I'm a little confused by all this discussion of never-ending XML
> documents, mainly because my understanding is that without the
> well-formedness checks the content might as well be free form, and the
> elements within the document may rely on parts that have 'yet to arrive'.

Not at all:

"""The "atom:feed" element is the document (i.e., top-level) element
of an Atom Feed Document, acting as a container for metadata and data
associated with the feed. Its element children consist of metadata
elements *followed by* zero or more atom:entry child elements."""

http://atompub.org/2005/07/11/draft-ietf-atompub-format-10.html#rfc.section.4.1.1

   -joe

--
Joe Gregorio        http://bitworking.org