* John Panzer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2006-01-30 22:05]:
>This means that users might possibly end up subscribing to
>something of type application/xml if they copy and paste URL
>#3... but we could also make this client dependent so that, for
>example, everything other than known web browsers get
>application/atom+xml.

How about this simple rule? If the request for a feed has a
referrer, which aggregator presumably[1] never do, then serve as
`application/xml` with all cache control headers set to expire
immediately; otherwise, send as `application/xhtml+xml`. (Expiry
prevents intermediaries from caching it with the wrong MIME
type.)

[1] My server logs confirm this assumption for at least 20
different popular aggregators.