Wednesday, March 15, 2006, 3:21:08 AM, Martin Duerst wrote:

> For atom:uri and atom:email at least, not having xml:lang may
> be seen as a feature.

The spec says that "Any element defined by this specification MAY have
an xml:lang attribute". We chose to limit the effects of xml:lang,
rather than the occurrence of it. Eg: atom:published is allowed
xml:lang, even though it is meaningless. The spec includes a sentence
about element xxx being "Language-Sensitive" when we consider the
language to be relevant. The idea is, if a feed reading framework such
as Microsoft's Windows/IE7 feed platform doesn't preserve xml:lang on
elements that aren't "Language-Sensitive", then they are doing nothing
wrong. Same for, eg: an Atom publishing server backed by a legacy CMS.

> While these often contain pieces from one language or another, they
> are not really in a language.

I agree. Note that this is the case in Atom, because those two
elements are not "Language-Sensitive".

Also note, that atom:uri is an IRI-reference, so it is affected by any
xml:base attributes on that element.

And that atomCommonAttributes also covers extension attributes, which
are also allowed anywhere. They are "undefined", which *I* think means
that implementations need not feel bad about dropping them on the
floor. The official meaning is, er, undefined.

--
Dave