This was specifically added in response to feedback provided on this
list.  Although I don't have the link to the original thread, the
rationale has to do with aggregated feeds.  Specifically, I may publish
an entry that does not have a license that you turn around and republish
in an aggregate feed that does have a license. If entries inherited the
licenses of their parents, that would mean that you would end up
distributing my content under a different license than what I had
originally intended, which you, of course, have no right to do.
Therefore, entries are licensed independently of the feeds in which they
happen to appear.

- James