Friday, May 26, 2006, 6:57:03 PM, Robert Sayre wrote:

> On 5/26/06, James Holderness <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> Logically I would assume the simple string comparison in section 5.3.1 of
>> RFC3987, but I was hoping this would be documented somewhere more
>> explicitly. An atom:id is an IRI too, but it explicitly specifies
>> character-by-character, case-sensitive comparisons. By not doing the same
>> for link relations the spec kind of leaves things open to interpretation.

> RFC3986, section 6 and RFC3987, section 5 document this procedure very
> well. The comparison ladder reduces false negatives in exchange for
> processing effort. If you think the ladder is worth climbing in this
> case, go for it.

Yeah, equally if you are a publisher, and don't want to restrict
interoperability to just the set of clients that climb the ladder,
then don't do anything stupid.

We probably should have specified the "simple string comparison"
method; it is more satisfying to call an implementation that publishes
not obviously equivalent IRIs 'wrong', rather than just 'somewhat unwise'.

--
Dave