If I specify something like:

<content type="xhtml" dir="ltr">
    This is some left-to-right text with a
</content>

The behavior depends a large part on how the content is displayed.
Typically, I would expect the above to be equivalent to:

    This is some left-to-right text with a

However, in other contexts, depending on how the content is displayed,
it could be equivalent to something like

    This is some left-to-right text with a

Or even just

  &lrm;This is some left-to-right text with a

Either way, the behavior of the dir on the anchor is unmodified and
standard (X)HTML rules apply.

- James