> Yes critical to this is to get the graphdriver (COW File Systems) out as
a separate package.  graphc so to speak.  We  are working on this.

awesome!

>  What would we need next to save a layered image?

from https://runc.io/ it says "runC does not create a daemon, so it
integrates well with systemd."
so then we need make use of systemd @ magic (or maybe systemd-machined)
and map dbus events into docker-like HTTP REST API
and we would have drop-in replacement

for example
$ docker run -d myrepo/myapp
123abcdef123

will just create some bookkeeping files then systemctl start mywrapper@
123abcdef123

I don't like the idea of having moving parts inside docker daemon, I
believe we should reach a point where it's sole job is to delegate the
container running to systemd
here is an example of docker daemon crashing and all running containers die
for a silly glitch in my 3G connection

https://github.com/docker/docker/issues/15328