On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 1:11 AM, Kelvin Lawson <i...@atomthreads.com> wrote:
> Hi Drasko,
> Only last week an Atomthreads user contributed a simulator for the Windows
> environment, that runs Atomthreads threads within a single Windows thread.
> He has dubbed this "Atomvm" and it is a separate port within the ports tree.
> I only just received this and have not had time to try it out or push it to
> Github yet, but I could send you the contributed ZIP separately if you are
> interested.
Do you really need an Atomthreads dedicated simulator ? What would be
benefit of OS dedicated simulator ?
I think that it would be safer to use well tested simulator soulutions
(for example qemu can be used for many ARM achitectures, and SkyEye
for ARM7TDMI).

> I realise you mention Linux-based, but you could do this within a Windows
> VM. I'm not sure how well Visual C++ Express runs within Wine.
I never had a luck with Wine :(. Configuring and porting would take
too much time...

> Other than this, I did have a look at a couple of the AVR simulators a few
> months ago. Simavr looked the most promising but I did not get as far as
> creating the necessary infrastructure to bring up Atomthreads with a UART
> for testing.

I took a look at Simavr site - seems promising. I will try to
configure this one.
It seems to have all that I need. As I understand, your AVR port is
for ATmega128 ?
Simavr has support for this SoC and  gdb support to look what is happening...

> In time I would like to create a Linux equivalent of the Atomvm, but I'll
> likely be personally concentrating on some of the other architecture ports
> first. Perhaps it would be fairly simple to create a Linux one using the
> contributed Windows version as example.
> Let me know if you'd like to see the Atomvm contribution.
Problem is that I am not AVR expert. I prefer ARM architecture which I
know better,
and I am afraid that it would demand AVR specifics learning. I just
requested simulator in order to be able to quickly run
Atomthreads and have try so I can get idea how it works exactly. For
the moment I'd like to concentrate on ARM7 port
of Atomthreads, and I guess in the meantime you'll have Atomvm under
git already. Then, if we find it useful, I could work on it's Linux
port.

Thanks for the support and kind regards,
Drasko