On Tue, 2010-11-30 at 11:21 -0200, Douglas Schilling Landgraf wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 11:18 AM, Douglas Schilling Landgraf
> <dougsl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello Alex,
>
> Sorry, Axel.

NP.

> > On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 7:46 AM, Axel Thimm <axel.th...@atrpms.net> wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> [I'm Ccing Douglas who has taken the cape for maintaining the backports
> >>  tree for v4l-dvb. If your reply is intended for Douglas as well, please
> >>  Cc him as well in your replies, I don't think he's on the list]
> >>
> >> So in order to see if it makes a difference for building mythtv on RHEL5
> >> (for Douglas: we have build problems against the videodev headers) I did
> >> package up the latest contents of the v4l-dvb backports tree (last
> >> changes are from July, 2nd). After some patching for taking care of the
> >> RHEL5 kernel (which is something between 2.6.18 and 2.6.2x, e.g. based
> >> on 2.6.18 with many backports), the build succeeds. Still mythtv is not
> >> happy with its videodev*.h headers and bails out.
> >>
> >> The backport does not build on f12-f14 and RHEL6 (kernels 2.6.35.6,
> >> 2.6.34.7, 2.6.32.23 and 2.6.32).
> >>
> >> For the lovers of mythtv on RHEL5, please test the package build with
> >> the 20100702 build of video4linux. You will find similar errors to the
> >> 20100401 build, but you now know that you have the latest headers. If
> >> you want to suggest changes to the contents of videodev*.h as before
> >> please Cc Douglas.
> >>
> >> Douglas, do you could advise us on how to get mythtv built against v4l
> >> on EL5? There are many users that have asked for it and the build
> >> stumbles on both the vendor supplied v4l headers as well as the
> >> backport's headers.
> >> Also do you think you could update the backports tree? I'd be happy to
> >> to the build testing and there are many users at ATrpms that can provide
> >> feedback on the resulting drivers. Thanks!
> >
> > Currently, I am not the backport maintainer and there is a new
> > backport tree:
> >        git://linuxtv.org/media_build.git
> >
> > The new build system is a improvement from the last backport tree idea.
> > Basically, it's a .tar file from the current -git tree which is
> > updated regularly.
> >
> > For while, this new tree is able to compile until 2.6.31.

I tried under 2.6.35.6-48.fc14, 2.6.34.7-61.fc13, 2.6.32.23-170.fc12 and
2.6.32-71.7.1.el6, all Fedora/RHEL kernels and they fail on

v4l/bttv-input.c: In function 'init_bttv_i2c_ir':
v4l/bttv-input.c:395:3: error: too many arguments to function
'i2c_new_probed_device'
include/linux/i2c.h:288:1: note: declared here

It can be an issue with patched kernels from the distribution vendor,
but especially Fedora has been trying to keep as close to upstream as
possible.

> > I just back from a long business trip, I will try to help with kernels
> > < 2.6.31 but
> > cannot provide you any date.

Alone the fact that there will be backports is making many users
happy. :)

If you need any testing, I can rebuild & report on any later git version
you tell me.
--
http://thimm.gr/ - http://ATrpms.net/