On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 2:37 PM, John Welch <jrw3...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Axel,
>
> NVIDIA recently released new legacy drivers for the 173.xx and 96.xx series
> with support for X Server 1.7.  These releases seem to kind of go hand in
> hand with the release of Fedora 12.  I'm wondering if it would be possible
> to get them added to the repo.
>
> I'm getting ready to upgrade one of my systems to F12 which has an FX5200
> video card (173.xx series).  I don't know if the existing 173.14.20 drivers
> are going to work or not, and don't want to have to install from the NVIDIA
> binary package if possible.
>
> Thanks,
> John

To follow up on my own message, I just upgraded my F11 system with an FX5200
video card to F12, and the NVidia 173.14.20 drivers from ATrpms do not
work.  I just get a black screen and an error message in Xorg.0.log saying:

"/usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.so: undefined symbol:
resVgaShared"

A Google search of this message shows that it has something to do with X
Server 1.7.

I've switched to the nouveau driver just to get my system running, and I'm
considering installing the binary package directly from NVidia for the
172.14.22 driver, which is supposed to support X Server 1.7.

For anyone else running the legacy NVidia drivers from ATrpms be forewarned
that you will probably have issues if you try to upgrade to Fedora 12.

John