On 23/05/2010 9:04 PM, Paulo Cavalcanti wrote:
Hi,

Axel rebuilt all nvidia packages so they can coexist
with previous installed versions again.

However, this is valid for FUTURE releases only.
In case someone still has some old versions installed,
they should be removed or their symbolic links
updated.

I wrote a small python script that should fix the links:

http://people.atrpms.net/~pcavalcanti/scripts/nvidia.py

It should be run as root just before updating
the packages. If it is run after the update,
/usr/sbin/nvidia-graphics-switch has to be used
to select the current driver again.

The script is hardcoded for x86_64. For 32 bits,
one should change

path = '/usr/lib64/xorg/modules/drivers/'

for

path = '/usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/'

Rhel users should wait a little bit, because
although the packages have been updated,
nvidia-graphics-helpers have been fixed only for Fedora.
A new helpers is on the way for Rhel....

I tested the new packages either in F10, F12 and Rhel5 with
several old nvidia versions installed and everything is working.
(I used the python script for fixing the links, of course).

I hope the new scheme works for everybody, but in case
it does not, please use the list for getting help.

Thanks.

--
Paulo Roma Cavalcanti
LCG - UFRJ

so do I need  to run this "just" before or anytime before the update?

ie do I run

1. nvidia.py
2. yum update

thanks