This is kind of OT, but here it goes:

I found out that I can produce mp4 ipod ready
files, using  avidemux, by just copying the video (compressed with xvid
codec) and changing avi containers
to mp4 and audio to faac (maybe mp3 also work).

The whole process takes at most 5 min, because I do not need to transcode
the video. Then, I use mp4box to add the cover and subtitles (srt format).
Even itunes being the lousiest software ever written, I can transfer the mp4
files to my ipod-touch. Although itunes does not play the movies because
quicktime does not support xvid, ipod chip does, and the result is really
amazing. The quality of the videos is impressive, because the screen is
small.

The subtitles are not showing up in my ipod-touch yet, but I am not sure
whether these toys are able of displaying them anyway (I know ipad is).
Subtitles are important because some places are so noise that even using
earphones, one may not hear anything.

If anyone knows how to deal with subtitles in itouch, please drop me a note.

Thanks.

--
Paulo Roma Cavalcanti
LCG - UFRJ