On 26/02/12 15:07, Paulo Cavalcanti wrote:

On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 11:37 AM, Paulo Cavalcanti <pro...@gmail.com
<mailto:pro...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 8:22 AM, John Pilkington <j.p...@tesco.net
    <mailto:j.p...@tesco.net>> wrote:

        I upgraded a few packages this morning, including the new
        nvidia-long-lived and IIRC some ssh-related ones, but not the
        new F15-64-bit kernel, and rebooted.  Now vlc segfaults when
        asked to play a file; I haven't seen any other problems.

    It seems to be the new nvidia blob (295):

    Using the fallback 'C' locale.
    libva: VA-API version 0.32.0
    Xlib:  extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".
    libva: va_getDriverName() returns 0
    libva: Trying to open /usr/lib64/dri/nvidia_drv_video.so
    libva: va_openDriver() returns 0
    [0x7f605cc0af70] avcodec decoder: Using VA API version 0.32 for
    hardware decoding.
    marker does not match f_code
    Segmentation fault

Definitively, it is nvidia 295:

http://chakra-project.org/bbs/viewtopic.php?pid=47431

Running in gdb (which suppresses code optimizations) it does run.

These new nvidia drivers should always go to testing,
because they cause a lot of headaches ...

Thanks for the quick response, Paulo. I've gone back to 275.43 and all seems well again. Hardware is GeForce 7500 LE, not VDPAU capable, system struggles on HD. I did an nvidia-graphics-switch but until I uninstalled the 295.20 packages the NVIDIA X-Server Settings window seemed convinced I was still on 295.20

John P