Hi Kiwamu,

Sorry for the delay, I missed your reply.

On Friday, November 2, 2018 at 5:29:00 AM UTC+2, Kiwamu Okabe wrote:

> Dear Hongwei and Artyom,
>
> On Fri, Nov 2, 2018 at 12:03 PM gmhwxi <gmh...@gmail.com <javascript:>>
> wrote:
> > The way you wrote the code makes it a bit difficult to
> > do typechecking. Try to change the interface for utf8_to_unicode
> > as follows:
>
> Thanks! It's fixed!
>
> https://travis-ci.org/metasepi/uemacs-bohai/builds/449662253
>
> > I think the reason for having to annotate it is due to a hit on
> performance in
> > constraint solving. I think I read about this in one of HX's papers.
>
> Could you tell me where is the paper? > Artyom

The "state types" are described here:

http://www.ats-lang.org/MYDATA/Xanadu-lics00.pdf

section 4.3. The section talks about synthesizing these state types. I
guess that ATS2 and ATS3 still follow a similar approach (since sometimes
it's OK to drop the annotations completely and sometimes not).

I can't source my claim about performance though, sorry about that.