On Friday, July 3, 2020 at 8:03:08 AM UTC-5, Matthias Wolff wrote:

> C++ templates restricted to functions show only one half oft the truth.
>
> template<typename T>
> struct function;
>
> struct XXX;
>
> template<>
> struct function<XXX> {
>
>     template<typename... A>
>     void operator()(std::ostream& s, const A&... a) {
>        (s <http://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/io/cout> << ... << a);
>     }
> };
>
> struct YYY;
>
> template<>
> struct function<YYY> {
>
>     template<typename... A>
>     void operator()(const A&... a) {
>        (s <http://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/io/cout>td::cout << ... << a);
>     }
> };
>
> int main()
> {
>
>     //using function object - additional constructor parenthesis
>     function<XXX>()(std::cout,"a",1);
>
>     function<YYY>()(1,"a");
>
>     return 0;
>
> }
>
> Template power in c++ starts with structs or classes and templated normal
> functions
> are often used to redirect the call to templated structs and their
> specializations. Where
> structs/classes may have many also templated methods and many inner
> classes and
> yes a function - I think - can have inner structs:
>
> void my_function()
> {
>     struct abc { void print() { std::cout << "ok" << std::endl; } };
>
>     abc().print();
> }
> Variadic templates are really powerful "template<typename... T> struct
> mystruct" and next
> template type deduction.
>
> Template are not a weak point in C++. But if you look in direction of
> category theory, one can
> very quickly recognize, that this topic is a black hole. C++ has no
> mathematical inspiration

Prior to Stroustrup's work on concept maps in concepts, C++ templates'
inspiration was almost entirely a proper subset of Ada generics (but
without Ada's option of shared implementation of machine code among all
expansions/type-instantiations).  C++ concepts without concept-maps has no
feature of which I am aware that Ada generics have not already had for
since either 1983 or 1995 editions of the Ada language.  The history of C++
prior to C++11 is almost entirely a multidecade critique of Ada:  C++ as
Ada done right was the mantra (which might be factually correct if
restricting* Ada to only Ada83 which was rather half-baked, because Ada95,
Ada2005, and especially Ada2012 are better examples of the Ada school of
thought done right—and they differ quite substantially in their definition
of “Ada done right” that C++'s definition of “Ada done right”).

* The vast majority of DoD & aerospace usage of Ada in 2020 (i.e., what
remains extant in production, not transliterated into either Java or C++
with the historic Ada implementation abandoned) is strictly limited to
Ada83, prohibiting all later features, which is why AdaCore and other Ada
compiler vendors charge a premium for maintaining Ada83 but allow cheaper
or free access to later editions of the language and which is why no Ada
compiler vendor other than AdaCore maintains a Ada2012-or-later edition of
the language and only one other Ada compiler vendor of which I know ever
implemented any editions of the Ada language other than Ada83 and Ada95.  A
common perception/reputation (without well-substantiated statistics either
way) is that the vast vast vast majority of lines of Ada source code are
Ada83 at Boeing civilian aerospace, at DoD contractors, and at NATO
contractors.  So limiting Ada to elide all of its later incarnations
post-Ada83 is not entirely unreasonable under certain pragmatic lines of
thought to which the C++ standardization-leadership subscribes.

So adding historical color to Matthias's point, the only theoretic
mathematical influence (however spartan) over C++'s
templates-as-a-mimicking-derivative-work would have come from Jean
Ichbiah's work on LIS (Language d'Implementation de Systèmes), HOLWG's
Green, Ada-0, Ada80, and Ada83, if any such theoretic influence can be
found in Ichbiah's historical work.  Figuring that it took C++ around 20+
years to officially introduce concepts without concept-maps into the C++
community's language-design conversation (for C++ to overtly state Ada's
type-satisfaction restrictions on template parameters), Ada's generics have
been on discernibly stronger conceptual footing, if not
mathematical-theoretical, footing for decades and even stronger nowadays
with Ada2012's expanded expressivity of where clauses.

But agreeing wholeheartedly with Matthias's point, Ada's
typing/subtyping-as-destinct-from-subclasses and generic type-satisfaction
restrictions have been vastly more expressive than almost any other
mainstream/ISO-standardized programming language, but it does not overtly
evoke much theoretic type theory in its standardization, description,
implementation, or defense—instead relying on ad hoc
software-engineering-based lines of thought and whatever bleed-over
software engineering world might borrow from mathematical type theory,
however spartan.  And there does not exist to my knowledge any
Ada-generic-based way of accomplishing Hongwei's goals that differ much
from the C++-template-based analysis in this thread & related threads here.
 C++'s Standard Template Library was a early-1990s re-write/transliteration
of a prior directly-analogous Alex-Stapanov library for Ada generics.  Ada
world introduced type-traits to generic libraries in mimicking reaction to
Andrei Alexandrescu's work on the C++ Loki library's use of traits just as
C++ Boost libraries did as derivative-work mimicking as well.
 (Alexandrescu is the primary voice for considering System F in C++ world,
as a theoretical-mathematical inspiration/guidance, but only
opportunistically it seems.)  AFAIK, Ada community/standardization has not
pushed Ada beyond Alexandrescu-esque type-traits.

Btw, as opposed to greater fidelity to mathematical type theory, Ada202X's
focus for a big ‘breakthrough’ new rethink era has been instead focused on
Rust's borrow checker; neither SPARK nor Ada appears to be directly
mimicking ATS's dependent-type-based school of thought, although SPARK
community likes to think that they are plodding along toward proof-oriented
programming but through apparently less-sophisticated mechanisms than ATS
is.