I have tried both 10.04 and the alternate CD, so far I get the normal
one hanging up during the GUI install (using the USB CD ROM method),
or with the text based alternate install it gets all the way through
does the grub install and then nothing...

If I reboot it takes me to the apple TV restore screen.  I can reboot
with my patchkey to get back into the atv-bootloader but then I am
back where I started and my new sda4 partition won't mount.  Any
suggestions guys? Once you get it installed on sda4 with swap on sda5,
is there anything special you have to do to get the grub install to
work?

I left the first three partitions as is, so I could restore to atv if
I wanted to but to be honest I have no need for the apple TV so I am
fine blowing the whole disk away and just putting linux only on it if
that's a better choice.  I haven't seen any posts recently on this
group so this might be a dead board but I wanted to post this to see
if I could get some help from you guys.

Thanks!
Mike