Stefan Monnier <monn...@iro.umontreal.ca> writes:

> What I'm really asking here is if there's a willingness to introduce
> the inevitable bit of breakage in exchange for a supposed longer term
> benefit, and/or if someone can think of a better way to move towards a
> better long-term arrangement than the status quo.

I wonder why/if it's important that the AUCTeX modes identify as the
builtin modes, i.e., what would be the issue with having (La)TeX-mode
major-modes which have no relationship to (la)tex-mode at all plus a
setup command users would call in their init file in order to modify
`auto-mode-alist' so that the AUCTeX modes are added?

Bye,
Tassilo