>>> "IK" == Ikumi Keita <ik...@ikumi.que.jp> writes:

>> Uwe, how about installing Git with your distro's package manager? You
>> don't have to use Git for yourself, just AUCTeX makefiles and scripts
>> do. You can continnue to use Mercurial via hg2git.

> Ah, sorry, I didn't remember that the repository created by hg2git
> doesn't have expeced contents in .git subdirectory. So it difficult to
> have correct version number without real git repository.
> I don't have a good solution. :-(

A couple of remarks.

I also pulled in my git cloned repository (I just prefer mercurial in
case I want to contribute a style or something, then I am much more
comfortable with hg).

Interesting enough it has the same ChangeLog.1 file

Run

 make distclean
 ./autogen.sh
 ./configure
 make

And then tex-site.el contains

(defconst AUCTeX-version "2024-07-03"
  "AUCTeX version.
If not a regular release, the date of the last change.")

(defconst AUCTeX-date "2024-07-03"
  "AUCTeX release date using the ISO 8601 format, yyyy-mm-dd.")

I switch to the main branch
repeat the process (compiling needs 10 times more, still 😭, when will
this be changed)

(defconst AUCTeX-version "14.0.6.2024-07-05_09:42:08"
  "AUCTeX version.
If not a regular release, the date of the last change.")

(defconst AUCTeX-date "2024-07-05_09:42:08"
  "AUCTeX release date using the ISO 8601 format, yyyy-mm-dd.")

I do the same on my hg-git clone repo, and when compiling the main
branch I obtain

(defconst AUCTeX-version "14.0.6.2024-07-05_09:42:08"
  "AUCTeX version.
If not a regular release, the date of the last change.")

(defconst AUCTeX-date "2024-07-05_09:42:08"
  "AUCTeX release date using the ISO 8601 format, yyyy-mm-dd.")

So this is identical.

It is only on master where correct version is not found.

I will dig in some email where we discussed this problem on the main
branch. Anyhow I can also try to play around with the ChangeLog.1 file
(which I maybe shouldn't)

BTW any change to accelerate the byte compilation on main or will it
stay this way in order to spot error more easily?

Uwe
--
I strongly condemn Hamas heinous despicable pogroms/atrocities on Israel
I strongly condemn Putin's war of aggression against Ukraine.