Hi Raman,

> according to the auctex manual, loading tex-site will cause things to
> fail, see the documentation.

I suppose you are referring to these statements[1]:
,----
| Already in version 11.81 the way to activate AUCTeX changed substantially.
This should now be done with (load "auctex.el" nil t t) instead of the former
(require 'tex-site)
`----
They mean that the _users_ aren't expected to load _explicitly_
tex-site.el in their init file ~/.emacs.d/init.el and alikes. Actually,
the system init file
~/.emacs.d/elpa/auctex-x.y.z/auctex-autoloads.el
, generated at ELPA AUCTeX installation, is designed to have
(require 'tex-site)
because it's madatory for sane operation of AUCTeX. It's there on
purpose of the developpers of AUCTeX. Therefore, it *must* exist in
package-quickstart.el when you enable `package-quickstart'.

You said that
,----
|    When Emacs starts:
|
|    1. (featurep 'tex-site) ==t
`----
in your first report[2]. I suppose that this means that your emacs loads
tex-site.el via package-quickstart.el as expected and something
unexpected broke the setting prepared in that tex-site.el. The
preparation is done through adding some entries to
`major-mode-remap-alist', thus it's important to know its value and
the value of the related variable `major-mode-remap-defaults'.

[1] https://www.gnu.org/software/auctex/manual/auctex/Changes.html
[2] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/auctex-devel/2024-07/msg00054.html

Regards,
Ikumi Keita