Hi Juanjo,

<juanjose.garciarip...@gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> I have already submitted to auctex-devel some patches to cope with window
> management: AucTeX currently is very aggressive in creating windows how it
> wants to, and overriding the behavior of Emacs' different window managers. I
> really would appreciate some feedback.
>
> However, my current concern now is with logging and I see that I was until
> recently using a very old installation and that now AucTeX uses
> -file-line-error. This probably simplifies AucTeX's search for files but has
> the unwanted consequence that error descriptors are actually not output by
> pdftex, but remain hidden in the log file.

I think I already answered your concern a couple of years ago on
TeX.se: https://tex.stackexchange.com/a/328289/31416  This is a
problem with MiKTeX, which for some reasons is less informative when
you ask for more information.  The issue has been reported more than 4
years ago, but apparently no action has been taken so fare:
https://sourceforge.net/p/miktex/bugs/2310/  If you want it to be
fixed you should complain with MiKTeX developer.

For your information, you can use TeX Live also on Windows, and it
doesn't suffer from this issue.

> Does -file-line-error really improve so much AucTeX's search for error
> messages?

Yes, we found that enabling file:line:error style greatly simplifies
parsing of the output, as we don't have to do the complicated exercise
of guessing which is the last open file.

Bye,
Mosè