Re: An issue copying a large file to my external Hard drive, any help?

Similar to what's been said, but here's what I'd check:
Firstly, if you've got a fat file system on the disk (extremely unlikely), you might have a size issue with the file (though I thought that limit was 32 gb for fat32). Otherwise, you could either archive the file (I would recommend 7-zip for this myself), or you could share it over (though I have no clue how this would work from pc to mac).
Camlorn: fat/fat16 is only supported on disks of 4gb or less, and 4 gb's not supposed to work because it's 64k clusters. Even with fat32, you've got to have an old system to do the formatting, as newer windows won't let you format disks of more than 32gb as fat32.