Flash, may or may not be specific website/browser combinations

Flash has been giving me a little trouble recently.
I mean, aside from that it's all but impossible to update it on the Vista laptop, which has Firefox quite prickly.
I tried looking for sounds at 1soundFX and soundBible on the Windows8 laptop instead, since I know that version of flash... was up to date a couple months ago, at least.
After a while, I started getting "No preview available", embedded objects that wouldn't let me access them (I'd press enter on them and NVDA would just say how it was a shockwave flash embedded ole object), and on one page it even just gave me a bunch of HTML. IE also gave me some message about addons that didn't tell me much (I really need to install Firefox or Chrome on this computer, but seeking out, downloading and installing new software isn't usually fun and I put it off as long as possible).

(On that note, IE is being quite irritating with forms. I had to move this post to notepad because NVDA wasn't reading it right and it tried to back out into the off topic room.)

Oh, and with 1soundFX, I did check to be sure it wasn't just that there were a few sounds without previews; it got to the point where pages full of sounds from different libraries wouldn't work, and even my wishlist wound up full of "no preview available" and inaccessible objects (and they had previews before, since I wouldn't have put them there if I hadn't heard that they were worth it!). And I checked sounBible right afterward, and still couldn't get into flash objects.