Linux Ubuntu server!

Hi every one.
So, for all you linux know how's out there, I figured i would create this topic so you can discuss things regarding the Ubuntu server distro.
More spisifically, my own problems at the moment.
So, i've got a server already. Of sorts. As in, it's a capable Dell laptop, 32 bit, that is running windows XP with a few server applications installed and running all the time.
I've been wanting to get in to linux for a while now, and i wanted to start with my very own ServerInABox. lol.
So, i've read a good portion of the documentation, and noticed that is says somewhere that if you press control s after you've inserted the live CD, (which I burned from the iso) it would start Orka.
I tried this with no luck.
So, any advice, tips, helpful links, or bits of information i'm missing here?
Thanks in advance