Boot and Use a Linux Live CD or Installer

Has anyone succeeded in doing this at all? Graphical or textmode, as long as you can end up in a GUI if you want, on the finished installation. With speech.

To date, all my Linux installs have been done from a CD that supported BRLTTY, and my only remaining contact with the Linux world is a VM I ported from a live system that I first built in 2004. (Actually, this isn't true; the Debian system was done much later, but still with the benefit of real serial ports on the motherboard.)

I've never got a single live CD to actually boot and run anything different. Boot loaders are increasingly (and stupidly!) graphical and you can never know what it takes to get the things started. You just know there's something wrong when the best way to build a new Linux system is to attach a virtual HDD to your Debian VM, convert it into flat mode, and then use debootstrap to prepare a chrootable environment from which to build a raw image that you can later image onto a ph ysical disk. There's just got to be a way to start from scratch. And since that old system was 32-bit, soon the chroot method won't work anymore if I want to build a 64-bit system. So I need to find a solution.

Advice appreciated. Just get me into a working shell or desktop with speech, is about the only requirement. It would be especially useful if it was guaranteed to work in VMWare, too.

Cheers,

Sabahattin