Making Music with MIDI

Hooray for alliteration! Anyhow, I posted this question in another topic, but since that topic promptly died, I figured I'd take another crack at it.

So, I have been writing music in a program that's primarily geared towards score preparation, but can also compile a midi file of the music. I'd like to take that midi and replace the terrible standard midi voices on my computer with good-sounding instrumental samples to get a more realistic sound from the file. Then I'd like to be able to save the audio with the new voices as an .mp3, .wav, or other audio format. Most importantly (and here's why I'm not just going to Google) I want the process to be accessible.

So, any of you enterprising musicians out there know of a setup that can do what I'm talking about? If so, and if you don't mind humoring a complete neophyte, I'd appreciate any direction you can give me. I promise I'm a quick study. :-)