Re: Sapi

@Dark [[wow]]! Good thing we've got choices, eh? smile The natural Orpheus voices always pained me; they sounded like the speaker was being horribly spliced together, which made me feel very uncomfortable, sort of like because they must have a permanent air passage obstruction or something. Ugh.

Can I take it this means you really, really dislike eSpeak? It has by far the fastest response time of any of them, I find. You're definitely right that Orpheus was very good on English pronunciation and, being natively British, were less annoyingly constrained by American English language rules.

Also as a general point, we learn that JAWS 15 includes Vocaliser Expressive. These are of course locked to JAWS, but are apparently not that much more snappy than RealSpeak Direct. The cynic in me is tempted to conclude that this is not true, but that this was the only way to justify the JAWS 14 upgrade of the time, because not to do so would be a clear indication that FS voice locking provided absolutely no benefits whatsoever. But it's a moot point anyway, because it's not optional for JAWS 15; the new Vocaliser voices are required if you want RealSpeak.