Re: Making Music with MIDI

A quick question for you QWS users:

So, I got the Motif instrument list and used it to pick out instruments for the various tracks of a midi - in theory, now when I load that midi into my Motif's song mode, it should actually play the right voices... But I want to be sure I'm not missing something. The reason I ask is that when I change the instrument, the program and bank numbers change accordingly...but when I play back the midi, it still plays the GM sounds that it did originally. This has me confused, since it's no longer on the same program numbers...as long as it's playing through my default synth, shouldn't the voices have changed with the program number change? I know it won't be my Motif voices, until it's on the Motif, but shouldn't it change to...something?

For example, when I loaded up this particular midi, the cello was set to program 042, and was playing the GM cello sound. Then I changed it to the Motif's &quo t;String:Small Ensemble" voice (prog. 10, bank 8067). But when I play it back, it still plays the GM cello sound. Shouldn't it be playing whatever GM prog. 10 is...or nothing, since there's probably no bank 8067 in the standard synthesizer?

Hopefully my confusion makes sense. I just want to make sure I'm not missing a step somewhere. Tanks in advance for any help. :-)