Re: Refresha brail 18 for NVDA?

I actually played with an APH Refreshabraille 18 and NVDA since my last post.
The braille output always worked fine, meaning that I could always read the braille on the display with no problems.
I believe the navigation buttons generally worked fine including move forward, move back, and the joystick.
I did have problems using the braille input keys.
And I do not believe Bluetooth is supported, though I did not try it.

SO there were some glitches, but much of it does work.
My personal braille display is not an APH display and does not have braille input keys and I still find it quite useful, so I should think an APH display that has everything working except for braille input keys would also be useful to you.

I created a ticket for NVDA that outlines the specific braille input problems I found.  It is located here:
http://community.nvda-project.org/ticket/3541

I was ass isting a teacher of the blind and visually impaired and she contacted APH to let them know about the ticket and her desire to get her APH Refreshabraille displays working in NVDA in hopes that they could provide the NVDA developers with a display so they could properly fix the last few problems.
I recommend that you also contact APH and let them know of your desire to have your display work better with NVDA.
APH needs to hear interest from their customers so they can send a display to NVAccess and get proper support for their customers.
NVAccess has already shown an interest and willingness to solve these problems as you can see in the NVDA ticket I referenced.

Garrett said: Aw, turns out, there are still gliches in the braile devise where it'll only work with the IPad, for some reason, nvda and jaws don't like it.

I say: That seems quite vague to me.  I've just outlined how many of the features do work in NVDA with an APH Refreshabrail le 18.
Are you saying you tried to get your display working with NVDA and it didn't work?
Or that you heard it wouldn't work and never tried?
Or that you got it working with the same glitches I outlined?

If you tried and it didn't work then please give a detailed explanation of the steps you took since I can't help unless you give more details.
If you never tried, then you should, because it worked for me, and is obviously documented as supported in the NVDA documentation I outlined in my previous post.
And if you got it working but with the same glitches I found please do not tell people it doesn't work, because that is far from the truth and will confuse others.

[Edit]
Sorry, I forgot your school got this display and not you.  So really it would be good if your school would contact APH to show their interest in having the display work better with NVDA.
Maybe you could talk to your teacher about it.
G ood luck!

Ian Reed