Re: Revelation - Exploration and discovery puzzle, by Aprone

[[wow]], interesting idea for a game.

well I've discovered fire, bacon and manure, which makes me a primmative, or at least a camper having a bbq big_smile.

It'd be nice to see some humans in the game as items, both because then you could potentially simulate progress, (after all who eats the bacon?), and more fundamentally, to actually represent human labour.

for example, the method for stick creation I found a little random, (indeed I found it at! random), since myself I'd assume a human would be involed with that. I won't say any more since I don't want to spoil recipes for people.

Lastly, is there a way to get more magic? that would be sort of amusing!

It's odd, I don't usually enjoy this sort of crafting system in some of the online games it's present in such as Kingdom of Loathing (which has extensive crafti ng), puppet nightmares or indeed core exiles. Even something like Psy pets, where the crafting is basically the entire game just doesn't appeal to me.

I think here though it's the ease of combinations. You don't need to choose whether to smith or cook or use other option when combining, you just slam stuff together and see what works (remember all those lovely guess the verb situations), also there are no schematics to follow.

lots of crafting systems I've seen in games like core exiles or puppet nightmares basically give you the plans before you start, (or have you perchice them), so you read the plans and know you need to go to area x to get so many of such and such an item, then area y to grind for other stuff, then combine them together, then add your made item together with yet more grindables from area Z etc, etc. To me, that has always felt far more like hard work than actually playing a game, just following a set of instructions as though yo u were reading a cookery book.

I like the spontanius combinations here, indeed I could imagine a crafting system like this in an rpg, with you getting items from game locations as you naturally explored, fought monsters etc, but then being able to slam them together to build other items.

Edit: Aaaagh! I'm out of water and wind and I have no idea how to make more, and yet I can't progress without them!