Re: Making Chiptunes?

Thank you so very much for asking! I use a program called "FamiTracker", which is a free portable Windows sound tracker used for creating music using the NES sound chip, the 2A03. It also supports the soundchips of the Famicom Disk System, like VRC6, VRC7, 2C33, MMC5, Namco 106, and coming soon, Sunsoft 5B. It is the only NES tracker program that supports Famicom expansion audio. FamiTracker is a music tracker, so which means it goes from top to bottom. When you save a module file, it uses a file extension known as FTM (FamiTracker Module File), to save it, for example, if I were to create a file called Last_Crusade, it would show up as "Last_Crusade.ftm". It also supports NSF exporting. NSF stands for Nintendo Sound Format. This allows you to play the song on an NES emulator, or, you can even put it on an NES cart and play it on the real hardware! You input notes using your computer's keyboard or a MIDI keyboard. You have to create an instrument first before you play around with the notes. Here is a video showcasing the tracker itself. This is a cover of Mega Man 2's Flash Man theme. I tried to keep it as close to the original. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GJsVCA-LiY. As you can hear, it almost sounds like the real thing. Here are some links to help.

http://www.famitracker.com. The official FamiTracker website.
http://www.famitracker.com/wiki/index.p … Main_Page. The FamiTRacker Wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_tracker. The Wikipedia article about tracker programs
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NES_Sound_Format. NSF Wikipedia Article