Line in jack issues urgent help needed!

So I've been wanting to record some games, as well as a few other things through line in... yet my line in jack doesn't seem to be working. Whenever I plug in something to any of the speaker or mic jacks on my computer the realtech hd audio manager comes up and lets me select then configure the device. But not for line in... absolutely nothing happens, yet everything seems to be detectable... is there a way for me to check whether the problem is with the physical jack itself, or whether something's not being recognized by my computer?