List of Muds for Cooking, Crafting, Farming, and Exploration

There have been quite a few topics about which Muds are best for cooking, crafting, farming, and exploration.  After playing a lot of Muds in search of the best one, I thought I would cull my knowledge and start this list, in hopes that I can save others a lot of time and searching. I hope everyone will add their advice, thoughts, and opinions to this thread, so that we can make a bigger list, but I think these Muds will get you started if you’re interested in any of the nonviolent facets of Mudding.

Avalon

This Mud has everything – exquisitely written descriptions, super friendly player base, navigation helps like zoom and find to make exploration easier, extensive crafting system, cooking, and farming.  The only caution is that it takes a significant amount of RL time to raise your skills up enough to get into the crafting, and it can be costly resourcewise to get started in game.  If you’re interested in farming, in the beginning, you probably won’t have enough gold to buy your own plough, so you’ll need to help out your city in farming their fields.  This is fine, but it does mean you’ll have to be online at the time when the ploughing occurs. This mud is well worth the payoff if you’re patient, but this isn’t a Mud that you can start, and be making furniture two days later.

Host: Avalon-rpg.com
Port: 23

Clok Mud

You can begin crafting on this Mud from the very beginning.  I started out fishing, and it was a lot of fun. This one is probably my second favorite as far as helpful players go, and well written world descriptions. Exploration is a lot of fun, because you wander through different environments.  There are a ton of help files on the Clok Wiki, and to get the most out of this Mud, you should be willing to read a lot of help, but it pays off handsomely in the end.

Host: clok.contrarium.net
Port: 4000

6Dragons

Exploration is wonderfully simple in this Mud, because you can type “where” and receive directions to almost anywhere in game.  You can also begin cooking and crafting very early, and your efforts will be immediately rewarded. I don’t think this one has farming, but it does have cooking, and a few crafting abilities. If you want to get started with cooking or crafting that’s fairly simple, and see a quick reward for your effort, this is the Mud for you.

Host: 6dragons.tk
Port: 4100

CoffeeMud

I’m surprised this Mud doesn’t have more people on it, because it has amazing crafting!  If this is your main interest, the important thing here is to choose apprentice for you starting class, then choose artisan, and you’ll learn new crafting abilities as you level. If I had to guess, I would say this Mud offers the most crafting opportunities of any one out there – many levels of cooking, baking, embroidery, engraving, carpentry, ship building, jewelry making, tailoring, weaponsmithing, and amorsmithing, just to name a few. You can begin crafting early on this one too, you just have to know where to look to find the necessary resources for each of your projects. The only downside is that with so few players on at any time, and some of those idle, it can be hard to get newbie questions answered. But the players are friendly.

Host: coffeemud.net
Port: 23

Dark Legacy

I have only just started this one, but the character creation process was so extensive, I imagine the crafting will be as well. From the look of the Dark legacy website, it does seem that this one has intricate crafting abilities.

Host: dark-legacy.com
Port: 9898