Re: New horror and adventure sidescroller, The gate!

Hi Aaron,

here are a couple of bugs I have recently noticed in the game. Some of them are not obvious bugs, they might have been design decisions instead, but I believe the majority should be pretty easy to fix and the game would deserve it. At least one more bug fixing update like that which would finally polish up the otherwise excellent product properly. In my opinion, it would be a shame not to fix even those small details when the game is such a job well done.

1. The alt key shouldn't repeat the selected menu item when alt+tab is pressed. Reliably and easily reproduceable 100% of the time.

2. The last chosen weapon doesn't seem to be included in the saved game state. When I respawn at a checkpoint after losing a life, the last chosen weapon is properly remembered, but I always start with the knife whenever reloading from a save. This also seems 100% reproduceable.

3. Not sure if the current music volume is saved. Needs more reliable testing o n my part but this should also be easily reproduceable.

4. If a cut scene is triggered while jumping (the hall of Morgana, the hole that's too big to jump over in level 9), the landing sound is never heard after the scene finishes playing, but this might be by design? If this is not the intended behavior, then it's also 100% reproduceable.

5. I killed Hades just as the attack with the electricity sound was right in the center of the stereo field, about to hit me. The attack sound correctly faded out along wit the others before the dialogue with the friendly vampire character played, but when that dialogue faded out, before the final cut scene where Patrick returns home started, a hurt scream was played. This seems very difficult to reproduce in exactly the same way but it does make sense to me - some of the last used attack state variables probably aren't cleared properly before triggering a cut scene.

6. Sometimes, such as when hit by a rock at the end of level 10, the game reports 0% health left. I understand how this can happen, and it's just a tiny cosmetic issue, but wouldn't it look a bit better if it said like 1% health instead? Probably not that easy to get to happen all the time (not sure if those rocks right before the door leading to the final boss level actually take away almost 100% health while still leaving a tiny bit remaining) but it's not impossible either.

7. When a bird bomber's bomb takes out other enemies nearby, I never seem to hear their dying screams. However, I realize this might just be the explosion sound having a greater max_distance than the enemy sounds or it simply being too loud, overpowering the screams. This seems to happen to me pretty consistently, so not too difficult to reproduce either, although the situation where the bomb explodes near enough to other enemies requires some careful moves to get right. It happens much easier by accident rather than when trying to make it happen on purpose.

8. The screen voice (checked with the h key during gameplay) seems to share the same sound object with the player vocals or something along those lines. If I try to check my health while the player's jump up or pain sounds are playing, the health either doesn't get spoken at all or maybe it's in fact just immediately interrupted. I can't get it to happen 100% consistently but I would say about 99% of the time, so not that hard to spot either.

Hope this helps you to track these bugs down.
I would appreciate your feedback on this very much.
Thanks,
Lukas

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : audioracer via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Hrvoje via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : audioracer via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : lukas via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : djrockmasterrob via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : audioracer via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : lukas via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : lukas via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : audioracer via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Leon Stewart via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : audioracer via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Adel via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : lukas via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Adel via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : lukas via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : ambro86 via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : ambro86 via Audiogames-reflector