Re: well, there goes 10 years of effort.

I hardly think that's the point.  when you throw money at something, you're throwing money at something, and that's money you don't get back if an account is retired.  Don't compare a service like netflix or even your phone service provider to something like a game where, once one donates 50, 100 or even a thousand dollars the account is so easily retired without some sort of courtesy or generosity on the administrators or owner's part.  It's plain rude; simple as that.  Email services nowadays are generally free, so it makes sense that such accounts would be retired if not logged into for some time.  This isn't like that.  I don't know what this game allows you to do once you spend money on it, but if it's anything like Alter Aeon where one gets credits and then goes and spends them on either in game gold or other conveniences, I think I'd be pretty ticked off myself.  I have a character tha t is worth at least 200 dollars, extra practices won through playing, storage and equipment not included.  it's worth 200 dollars because that's how much I've spent on it personally.  Do I expect Dentin to refund me if he suddenly decides to kill Alter?  No.  Do I expect him to at least notify me and say, "Hey, we're doing a cleanup and it's been a year, 5 or even 10 years since you've played.  I know you've invested in your account, so do you plan to come back at all?"  Yes.  Absolutely.  it's called being responsible and caring of your player base and customers.