ideas for grid scanning system?

So, I'm sort of stumped on this one. Imagine you have a grid. Any particular grid will do. It could be a 3 by 3, a 7 by 7, or a 10 by 10. I recommend it being quite a large sized board. Anyways, you have a particular point of focus on this board. Let's say you have a 10 by 10 board. Your point of focus is the coordinate (4, 6). Let's imagine that this useless, pointless (no pun intended) space has a classification of orange. I'm trying to create a function that will check the surrounding coordinates in order to check whether or not they are also classified as orange. If so, then the surrounding coordinates for those coordinates should be checked, and so on. The end goal is to retrieve a list of all of the coordinates that are connected to (4, 6) that are also orange. I hope I make sense. My example may have just confused someone I'm sure. To make a long explanation short, I am aiming for a Bubble Shooter type system. Any thoughts? All attempts that I have made towards accomplishing this goal have ended quite badly. So, when all else fails...

P.S. Here's what I have so far in the form of an example:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/561 … 20Copy.bgt

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : gamedude via Audiogames-reflector
    • ... AudioGames . net Forum — Developers room : sneak via Audiogames-reflector