Re: death match a new beginning version 2.0 released

Hi guys,
This is my opinion about this matter (mac and making games for this system in python). The only thing It could be a bit difficult to code in a mac using python is that you have to sort the following things:
Input: If you use only pygame you will be able to type only english characters. Don't know why, but I think pygame isn't very good for chats as You have to manage all keypresses separately. And SDL 1.x (the version pygame uses) isn't very good for some keyboard functions. I have read that SDL2 adds a new input event type, but if you want to code a game in Python, using pygame, You will have to use a third party module for text input. In windows there is EasyDialogs, but there are no an equivalent in mac (a working one, I mean, the EasyDialogs for mac doesn't work in Cocoa interfaces).
Sound: There's a strange bug in the sound_lib package that causes it doesn't work in Unix environments (this means only windows works). I thin k It's an unicode thingy, I'll fix it for Linux when I have a Linux box. If this issue is fixed for Linux presumably it may work for Mac.
AccessibleOutput: I think the last version of accessibleOutput2 has changed its method to say text through Voiceover. But I didn't tested the feature, even I'm not sure if someone already did it.
py2app and some packaging tools: I think this is the most difficult task to do for any non-mac developer. Py2app creates mac packages by taking the python code and compiling and applying some code. The final result is a .app file. If you don't have a mac you could try to code the other things (accessibleOutput improvements, sound_lib bugfixes and even a basic input subsystem for Unix environments). You could test the code in a mac, but you can't test if you can package your code if you don't have a mac, neither you can install the module in other operathing systems.
About if is possible to make games for O S X I think ofcourse It is, but you will have to access to a Mac (I can't emulate one in my laptop), install Xcode, macports, some python modules and begin to code. The thing is, who has a physical mac, good python skills and wants to fix these modules so other developers can create games for this platform?

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : RTR_Assassin via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : Ishan Dhami via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : danny via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : prajwal via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : danny via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : danny via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : prajwal via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : manuelcortez via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : danny via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — New releases room : thggamer via Audiogames-reflector