Re: Bootcamping my Mac Mini

Hi Chris.

Yes, install Windows to save your Mac. smile

And yes, good ol' XP is probably the best option. The BootCamp drivers are on your Snow Leopard disc, which I hope you have, although I can also find you some up-to-date ones I've rescued. You won't be USB-booting that old thing; it'll have to be optical, and it's quite likely you'll need sighted help as a result, although we could try our luck without it. Your machine is so old that it uses MBR and BIOS emulation; make sure you have the latest Snow Leopard on your box and have installed the very latest updates, especially firmware, to use CSM.

Decide if you will use OS X and Windows, or Windows exclusively. If the latter, then do an install of Snow Leopard on an external USB device, so you can use it to repartition your internal drive as a blank MBR disk with a single FAT32 partition; el se, allow BootCamp Assistant to repartition and start up the Windows CD. You can manually perform the steps done by BootCamp Assistant in order to try your luck with the WinPE environment, but then you've got the somewhat tricky business of installing XP using the command-line as you can't run Setup directly. And yes USB sound hardware is supported.

Good luck.